Monday, May 10, 2010

Reader 3

Reader 3 is a good friend in Lafayette who's probably the most voracious reader I know. She rated the following genres above 7: bestsellers, biographies, classics, romantic suspense, women’s lives, and young adult.

My recommendations
-- A Good Yarn by Debbie Macomber
Reader 3 likes knitting, and this book is a women's lives/gentle reads pick, so I thought she would like it.

-- Austenland by Shannon Hale
Sounds appealing to any Jane Austen fan, and Reader 3 is a big one.

-- A Little Bit Wicked by Kristin Chenoweth
Reader 3 loves musical theater, so I thought she would enjoy this memoir. I read it, so I can vouch for it.

-- The Ladies’ Man by Elinor Lipman
Readalike author for Austen, according to NoveList, and I looked through numerous plot summaries and this book had the most scintillating one, in my opinion.

-- Each Little Bird That Sings by Deborah Wiles
Young adult book I read for YA class last summer. Funny and written by a southern writer, which I know Reader 3 will appreciate.

-- The Hotel Riviera by Elizabeth Adler and Catering to Nobody by Diane Mott Davidson
Good escape books related to traveling and cooking -- to subjects Reader 3 is passionate about.

-- To Dance and French Milk
Two graphic book titles that I have read and that I think Reader 3 would enjoy based on her interests in the arts and all things French.

Response
"How cool is this, as good as a personal shopper! I’ve not read as much as I normally do because I’ve run out of ideas and didn’t feel like digging through new stuff. I’ll be anxious to try these. Austenland sounds particularly appealing and I had not heard of it."

More recently (as in today), I got this message from Reader 3: "I didn't realize my reading list was two pages long until just this minute. I've printed it out and will take it with me to the library this evening to return "Austenland." ... I love the concept of "Austenland," but the author wasn't a very good writer, so there were lots of trite phrases and improbable situations. You could rewrite it!"

So, bummer about Austenland. But that's the hazard of recommending books you haven't personally read. What can you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment